Frequently Asked Questions
Do you cover the drone when it is in flight?
Yes – Cover is while flying and on the ground.
How does the claims process work?
Please see https://www.dronecovered.com/drone/Claims on how to claim
I’ve made a claim – what happens to my policy?
Your policy will continue and your repaired or replaced drone will now be insured
I have completed a drone proficiency course. How can this change my policy?
By completing the online proficiency your 3rd party liability cover will increase from R500,000 to R1,000,000 with no extra cost to you. For an additional fee you can increase this cover to R2,500,000.
By completing the practical proficiency your excess for claims will reduce from 20% to 10%.
We will update your policy on submission of your certificate of completion, and will send you your new schedule , within 48h of receipt.
Where is my drone insured?
Mutual and Federal Risk Finance is the insurer and one of South Africa’s stalwart in the insurance industry with a track record of more than 170 years
Are there any exclusions to the policy?
What we will not pay for:
1. War, riot and terrorism
(A) This policy does not cover loss of or damage to property directly or indirectly related to or caused by:
i) civil commotion, labour disturbances, riot, strike, lockout or public disorder or any act or activity which is calculated or directed to bring about any of the afore-going;
ii) war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not) or civil war;
iii) mutiny, military rising, military or usurped power, martial law or state of siege, or any other event or cause which determines the proclamation or maintenance of martial law or state of siege; insurrection, rebellion or revolution;
iv) any act (whether on behalf of any organisation, body or person or group of persons) calculated or directed to overthrow or influence any State or Government or any provincial, local or tribal authority with force or by means of fear, terrorism or violence;
v) any act which is calculated or directed to bring about loss or damage in order to further any political aim, objective or cause, or to bring about any social or economic change, or in protest against any State or Government or any provincial, local or tribal authority, or for the purpose of inspiring fear in the public or any section thereof;
vi) any attempt to perform any act referred to in clause (iv) or (v) above;
vii) (the act of any lawfully established authority in controlling, preventing, suppressing or in any other way dealing with any occurrence referred to in clauses (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), (v) or (vi) above.
If we allege that, by reason of clauses (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), (v), (vi) or (vii) of this exclusion, loss or damage is not covered by this policy, the burden of proving the contrary shall rest on the you.
(B) This policy does not cover loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by or through or in consequence of any occurrence for which a fund has been established in terms of the War Damage Insurance and Compensation Act, 1976 (No. 85 of l976) or any similar Act operative in any of the territories to which this policy applies.
(C) Notwithstanding any provision of this policy including any exclusion, exception or extension or other provision not included herein which would otherwise override a general exception, this policy does not cover loss of or damage to property or expense of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by, arising out of or in connection with any act of terrorism regardless of any other cause or event contributing concurrently or in any sequence to the loss, damage or expense.
For the purpose of this exclusion 1(C) an act of terrorism includes, without limitation, the use of violence or force or the threat thereof whether as an act harmful to human life or not, by any person or group of persons, whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organisation or government or any other person or body of persons, committed for political, religious, personal or ideological reasons or purposes including any act committed with the intention to influence any government or for the purpose of inspiring fear in the public or any section thereof.
If we allege that, by reason of clause 1(C) of this exclusion, loss or damage is not covered by this policy, the burden of proving the contrary shall rest on you.
2. Nuclear Hazard
Any losses, costs or expenses arising directly or indirectly out of nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation or radioactive contamination of any kind, irrespective of whether other causes have contributed to the claim.
Any actual or alleged liability whatsoever for any claim or claims in respect of loss or losses directly or indirectly caused by, arising out of, resulting from, in consequence of, in any way involving, or to the extent contributed to by, the hazardous nature of asbestos in whatever form or quantity.
4. Detention, Confiscation and Forfeiture
Any loss, damage, cost or expense directly or indirectly arising from detention, confiscation, forfeiture, impounding or requisition legally carried out by customs, Police Services, crime prevention units or other officials or authorities.
5. Sanction Limitation and Exclusion Clause (LMA3100: as amended)
We shall be deemed not to provide cover and we shall not be liable to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose us to any sanction, prohibition or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom or United States of America
6. Date Recognition Exclusion Clause (AVN2000A: as Amended)
This policy does not cover any claim, damage, injury, loss, cost, expense or liability (whether in contract, delict, negligence, product liability, misrepresentation, fraud or otherwise) of any nature whatsoever arising from or occasioned by or in consequence of (whether directly or indirectly and whether wholly or partly):
(a) the failure or inability of any computer hardware, software, integrated circuit, chip or information technology equipment or vehicle (whether in your possession or of any other person) accurately or completely to process, exchange or transfer year, date or time data or information in connection with any change of year, date or time; whether on or before or after such change of year, date or time;
(b) any implemented or attempted change or modification of any computer hardware, software, integrated circuit, chip or information technology equipment or vehicle (whether in your possession or of any other party) in anticipation of or in response to any such change of year, date or time, or any advice given or services performed in connection with any such change or modification;
(c) any non-use or unavailability for use of any property or equipment of any kind whatsoever resulting from any act, failure to act or decision of you or of any other person related to any such change of year, date or time;
7. and any provision in this policy concerning any of our duties to investigate or defend claims shall not apply to any claims so excluded.
8. Computer Loss General Exclusion
General Exclusion applicable to all sections of this policy insuring damage to property ort the consequences of damage to property or any liability
Notwithstanding any provision of this policy including any special exclusion or extension or other provision not included herein which would otherwise override a general exclusion, this policy does not cover:
(a) loss or destruction of or damage to any property whatsoever (including a computer) or any loss or expense whatsoever resulting or arising therefrom;
(b) any legal liability of whatsoever nature
(c) any consequential loss;
directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or consisting of or arising from the incapacity or failure of any computer, correctly or at all,
i) to treat any date as the correct date or true calendar date, or correctly or appropriately to recognise manipulate interpret process store receive or to respond to any data or information, or to carry out any command or instruction, in regard to or in connection with any such date or
ii) to capture save retain or to process any information or code as a result of the operation of any command which has been programmed into any computer, being a command which causes the loss of data or the inability to capture save retain or correctly to process such data in regard to or in connection with any such date or
iii) to capture save retain or to process any information or code due to programme errors, incorrect entry or the inadvertent cancellation or corruption of data and r programmes
iv) to capture save retain or to process any data as a result of the action of any computer virus, or other corrupting, harmful or otherwise unauthorised code or instruction including any trojan horse, time or logic bomb or worm or any other destructive code, media or programme or interference.
A computer includes any computer, data processing equipment, microchip, integrated circuit or similar device in computer or non-computer equipment or any computer software, tools, operating system or any computer hardware or peripherals and the information or data electronically or otherwise stored in or on any of the above, whether the property of the Insured or not.
9. Any loss, damage or liability arising from as a result of or contributed to by a cyber-attack. or breach in the operating system as a result of a cyber-attack.
10. Any loss, damage or liability whilst the drone is being used for any illegal purpose.
11. Any loss damage or liability whilst the drone is operated by a person under the influence of alcohol, drugs or narcotics unless the drug or narcotic is prescribed by and taken in according to the instructions of a doctor other than the operator himself.
12. Any loss, damage or liability whilst the drone is used for any commercial or deemed commercial purpose.
13. Any loss, damage or liability whilst the drone is being used in contravention of the SACAA Legislation or Regulations.
14. Any loss, damage or liability whilst the drone is outside the geographical limits stated in the Schedule unless such loss, damage or liability is suffered by an in flight drone that is forced outside of the territorial scope due to adverse weather conditions.
15. Any loss, damage or liability whilst the drone is being operated by any person other than the you or the operator named in the schedule.
16. Any loss, damage or liability where the you have failed to comply with the drone manufacturer’s guidelines, manual and instructions.
17. Any loss, damage or liability arising from as a result of or contributed to by any drone which has a maximum take-off weight (including payload) exceeding seven (7) kilograms.
18. Any liability arising from as a result of or contributed to by you assuming liability or waivering your rights under any agreement except to the extent that such liability would have attached to you in the absence of such agreement.
19. Any fines or penalties or any exemplary or vindictive damages imposed upon you.
20. Hi-jacking or any unlawful seizure or wrongful exercise of control of the drone issuing office in flight (including any attempt at such seizure or control) of the drone acting without your consent.
(a) In addition, this policy does not cover claims arising whilst the drone is outside your control by reason of any of the above perils.
(b) The drone shall be deemed to have been restored to your control on the safe return of the drone to you at an airfield not excluded by the geographical limits of this policy, and entirely suitable for the operation of the drone (such safe return shall require that the drone be parked with engines shut down and under no duress).
21. Any loss, damage or liability arising from as a result of or contributed to by the drone being used for competitive purposes, including racing and stunt flying. However, if stated in the schedule loss, damage or liability arising from as a result of or contributed to by the drone being used at DRA Events is not excluded hereunder
22. To loss, damage or liability whilst operating the drone indoors.
Am I covered if I fly at night?
Yes - as long as you follow the SACAA guidelines
Am I covered for commercial flight?
No – This policy will cover you for recreational flying only
Is a Racing Drone Covered?
No – any racing drone or a drone built specifically for racing is not covered under this insurance
Is my Drone for a racing event?
Yes – Your OEM drone is covered if you participate in the Drone Racing Africa Event only.
The insurance policy covers all Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) products.